Sunday 15 January 2012

First Marathon Training - How I got here

It's been a while since I posted on this blog.
Actually, more than two years have gone since I created this blog where I was hoping to write about my views on life, adventures, etc.

However, having such a busy life of freelance IT consultant who has been working away from home, I wasn't motivated to spend time in front of the blog.

But now, I have a reason to write, FIRST MARATHON! :)

Before we get into training details (next post), let me recap my running journey, or rather, how I got to this point/decision.

I hated running when I was young. Really hated it.
We would have PE lessons every week and I would be dreading the time when our teacher says 'we are running today'.
Needless to say, I was always the last one, the chubby kid :)

Fast forward to high school, I started going to the gym and ocassionally went for a run with classmates.
Nothing special and I don't think I enjoyed that very much.

Then came the time around 1998, during university, when I started to get 'sort of' fitter with more gym and running.
After university, I went to England for 2.5 years and did the odd run around the fields, but was still much more into gym.

The real first serious point when I started running with commitment would be in 2006 in Sweden.
I went to work there and was quite fat and unfit therefore I set my goal to run 10k race in 3 months, which I did.
I even hit my target of being under 60 min, 57:23 to be precise, still to date my fastest 10k time.
It was hugely motivational and I said to myself that I need to get into racing more.

But it didn't happen and when I moved from Sweden to Germany (yeah, nomad life), I was again quite unfit.

I started running again and thought about half marathon, for which I trained and finished in March 2010 in dismal 2:22:41, on what was quite a bad day.
We all get them, don't we?



After that, my mind naturally looked at the next distance, marathon.
But nothing more came from that until end of 2011.

I started working in Vienna in early 2010 and also started running regularly with colleagues on this little course we found.
On and off for the whole year, I could feel that my legs were getting stronger (the course has serious uphills, eventhough it's in centre of Vienna) and I could run the odd 15km long run on the weekends.

In December 2011, I started another of those 15km runs and felt very good from the start.
Actually, I felt the best I had felt in the whole year, so I kept running and did 20km instead.

THAT was the point when I knew I wanted to go for marathon.
I thought if I could crank up to 20km in a weekly long run without much mileage (20km-30km a week), there is a real chance I could run 42km with proper training.

I knew it would have to be in the spring or autumn, there was no way I wanted to run a marathon in summer - I hate heat (in case you didn't know).

Naturally, being in Vienna, I checked for the Vienna Marathon
and voila, 15th of April!
Perfect, I registered the same evening, which made it official.
Number 6701! :)



I have got 13 weeks to get ready, starting this Monday :)
I will post my goals and training plan in the next few days, this post is already too long. :)

Now off to bed as I have an early plane to Vienna to catch.
Have a good week!

m

No comments: