Sunday 29 January 2012

Week 2 | 23.1 - 29.1

Mon - Rest

Tue
5.21k ; 32:02 ; 6:09min/k
Felt quite a bit better than last week on this course - just look at the numbers from last week.
To make it clear, this Vienna Park lap is 1.2k straight up the hill to the park, then a short lap around the park and again 1.2k downhill to the starting point.
My Garmin shows accumulated vertical ascent of 317 m, so it's definitely not flat.
While I am training for flat marathon, I think this weekly 'hilly' running gives my legs a bit more power than if I was running only on flat.


Wed
7.52k ; 46:39 ; 6:12min/k
Same version as the short one, I only run a bit longer lap around the park, twice.
While it may seem flat when in the park, it is a very mild gradual up (and down) hill.
Legs felt fine, got a bit tired towards the end so took it easy on the last downhill.

Thu
Biking ; cca 14km ; cca 45min
I turned off my Garmin when waiting at a train crossing and then forgot to turn it back on so I am only guessing the numbers here.
Didn't push at all, it was a nice evening ride despite the chilly and windy weather.

Fri - Rest
Legs felt tired so I decided to give them a rest before the long run on Saturday.

Sat
12.44k ; 1:22:10 ; 6:36min/k
This was a true drag. As good as I had felt earlier this week, this was just the opposite, I just couldn't get going.
After 5k I turned on the 'just get it done' mode and kept plodding along.
Strangely enough, my legs were getting tired in places they never use to and vice-versa, the tired muscles I normally get never bothered me.
Knee felt ok, but I think I am paying too much attention to how I run on it and try to take it easy, therefore putting more strain on my right leg. No wonder that my right quad, gluteus and hip became quite tired towards the end.
Note to self: Must not try to compensate!

Sun
4.74k ; 30:11 ; 6:22min/k
Since I skipped the short run on Friday, I was hoping to do it today, but only if legs felt ok.
Interestingly, while they were quite sore on Saturday, they recovered nicely so I went for it.
Needless  to say (look at the numbers) it was a slow jog, just to get the legs moving.


Total running distance: 29.91 km

Overall, definitely better week than the last one.
Well, at least the first half of it, I have to wonder how come I either seem to get energetic, solid two short runs or a good long run but never both. Need to work on that :)
I have to say that I am still somewhat tired but it's getting better as long as I make sure I sleep proper hours.
Knee - tricky bugger, seriously. It seems that the pain is moving towards the inside, as I could really feel a tendon being sore at the back, where one of the hamstring muscles is attached to the knee joint.
Uphills are even worse, as that's when these muscles get used and I was not pleased with the lack of progress during those two runs in Vienna.
The pain is more annoying then run-stopping but I need to make sure I am not doing more damage to the knee as that would be game over.
Using ibuprofen cream and icing (I stopped stretching) doesn't seem to be helping much so I decided to let the body deal with it on its own :)
After the long run I could feel the hamstring and other tendon running on the inside of the knee but it wasn't worse.
Today (Sunday) as I am writing this, I still feel the sore tendons but I don't get any pain when walking around.
Fingers crossed and let see how it feels tomorrow.


have a good week!

m




No comments: