Tuesday 13 March 2012

Week 8 | 5.3 - 11.3

Mon - Rest
Legs still very tired, so no running.

Tue
5.76k ; 34:16 ; 5:57min/k
Legs were still not fully recovered but I wanted to give them a little shake out.
Ended up pushing more than normal, especially on the downhill, which is clearly visible on the average pace. Bad news is that it didn't help my knees the slightest.

Wed - Rest


Thu - Rest


Fri - Rest


Sat
26.01k ; 3:08:16 ; 7:14min/k
For some reason I hadn't been sleeping properly this week and so I woke up quite tired. Almost didn't go out but then forced myself to go as I figured it would be a good training for race day when I usually can't sleep much.
Little did I know what would await me.
I took four gels, one chocolate bar and two handhelds with weak Nuun.
Pretty much from the start I knew it was going to be a drag. The first 3k loop felt ok but that was it. Basically the first 10k were bearable but even if I compare it to the 23k last week I felt worse overall. The pace was dropping, in spite taking gel every 7k and drinking properly. After 20k I had to sneak in a walking break (10-20sec) every 3k basically to just be able to keep going. The last 3k loop was a real torture and I had to walk the last 700 metres or so, something I NEVER do. I felt really drained and weak. Very, very demotivating and deflating.
I almost threw in the towel there and then and said 'screw marathon, I do something else' as it was NO fun at all. ZERO. After I got home I relaxed a bit and hit a party till 3am which definitely improved my mood. But I couldn't possibly imagine having to run another 16k after those torturous 26k, no way.

Sun
Rest. Thanks to Ultragen, it wasn't too bad, just the knees.


Total running distance: 31.77 km

Very bad week. Only two runs in, it looks as my main focus remains on the long run and anything in between is just making sure my legs are recovered enough. I honestly don't know why it takes so long for me to recover and the knees are definitely sore most of the time.
I will not try to run on tired legs next week and maybe by Wednesday they will feel ok to do a little jog. As I said, I am not bothered about the week mileage as long as I manage the long runs but if I am not fully recovered for next Saturday I will skip the long run completely. I figured I need one more long run around 30km in the next two weekends and  would rather do it on fresh legs. Honestly after the tough 23km I had hoped that it will get better but it was only worse. If this trend continues, it will be a seriously tough 42km, I can tell you. It definitely makes me respect the distance much more and I just hope to finish, looking at my times I think I will be lucky to finish under 5 hours.
Send me some positive vibes please as I am not in the happiest place right now and hoping the legs and knees will hold together for one more long run before the big day.

have a good week

No comments: