Monday 5 March 2012

Week 7 | 27.2 - 4.3

Mon
5.73k ; 36:12 ; 6:19min/k
Since I took a break during the weekend, there was no reason to be lazy on Monday.
Very slow going, legs felt heavy, especially on the first uphill.
I also blame the 'being at home eating' for giving me some extra weight!

Tue - Rest
Wanted to give the knees some rest.

Wed
7.46k ; 48:51 ; 6:33min/k
This was another tough, uninspiring drag. I was so glad to be done.

Thu - Rest

Fri -  Rest

Sat
23.1k ; 2:37:31 ; 6:49min/k
This was the first big one, into uncharted territory. I took with me three gels and a chocolate bar + two handheld bottles with Nuun (mixed at half strength, as I find it too strong otherwise).
Thanks to the extended rest, legs felt good for the first 15k but went into rapid downhill after that.
The last 7k were a real sufferfest, I ran the last 3k at 7:25min/k pace, that's ridiculous!
I don't think I had ever been so tired after a long run, but kept moving. Legs dead, I felt like walking on lead poles.
But, the main thing is I finished the distance and only hope the three remaining long runs will be easier. Or at least not harder :)
Even at half strength, Nuun stops being appealing after 2 hours, so next time I will use 1/4 of the  tablet to have some taste and will substitute the electrolytes with S-caps.
The other chocolate bar worked better, but not sure if I like the taste, as it's very sweet, will see.
Iced both knees immediately afterwards.

Sun
Trashed legs (obviously) but it wasn't too bad, to be honest. I met up with few friends for coffee, decided to take the bike to give the legs a little shakeout, which was very nice.
In total I guess around 12km of biking, easy effort.

Total Running Distance:  36.29 km

Knees still sore, but I am actively icing them and hoping they will last three more long runs before the race.
The long run was a real test, I just hope it will get better. Strangely, it looks as though I always seem to have a bad long run and then a good one.
I must lose some weight, as I am sure that doesn't help. Goal is to watch the portions and stop snacking during the day.
Oh, I almost forgot that the run on Saturday was the longest distance I had ever ran, so at least something was positive :)

have a good week

No comments: