Sunday 5 February 2012

Week 3 | 30.1 - 5.2

Mon - Rest

Tue
31:44 ; 5.22k ; 6:05min/k
Solid short run, legs felt good after two days of rest. Quite cold, though.

Wed
46:30 ; 7.44k ; 6:15min/k
Again, legs felt ok including knees, it was below -10oC, bitter cold. It took me at least 20 minutes to warm up and was glad to be done. Hair frozen, gloves frozen, you just have to love winter :)


Thu - Rest
My immune system was telling me to take it easy (slight temperature) so I stayed at home. Wanted to make sure I am ok for the long run.

Fri - Rest
Felt better but decided to play it safe and rest.

Sat
1:39:46 ; 15.14k ; 6:35min/k
Glorious run in perfect winter weather. Clear blue skies, sun blazing, subzero temperatures, it was pure joy. Started to use my running belt including gel bottle with one gel. Definitely less messy than to be wrestling with gel plastic wrap and trying to open it fast! I was worried that the gel might freeze (I use water diluted mix as I hate the gluey stuff), but it was all fine, albeit very cold to drink.
I kept the pace in 'cruising mode', legs felt light and I had no serious issues until very end. The last km or so I felt overall fatigue but nothing serious from the legs, so was glad about that.

Sun
Biking ; 41:51; 14k ; 20km/h
Guess what, when I woke up, BOTH my knees were sore in that same problematic spot. Needless to say I wasn't pleased about that and went biking. Nice sunny ride (as opposed to the evening Thursday ones), it was definitely more enjoyable. Apart from the buggy knees the rest of leg muscles felt ok, if a bit tired. Didn't push at all, was just glad to be outside on such beautiful day.

Total running distance: 27.8 km

It has been a good week, with slightly increased tempo during my shorter runs and solid long run.
Even though I love running in subzero temperatures, my body clearly wasn't pleased so I had to take it easy for two days. Hence the lower total than last week, but with the longer long run done, I am fine about that.
I have been doing little thinking about this knee issue and will try a little experiment next week.
For the next week I will do all my runs in the old shoes.
Why?
Since the only thing that really changed between last year's 20k run and this year's running are the shoes, I would assume that they might be contributing to this problem. I mean, I have never had pain at that part of my knees and I am not doing more mileage than I used to.
While it is the very same model (the old ones are one year old), when I put them next to each other, the new shoes are definitely 'higher' in cushioning and maybe even higher heel drop?
The old shoes are still in good condition and I think I shouldn't do more damage than there is.
Let's see.
Being an IT consultant, if a system breaks down, the first question we ask is 'what has changed since it was operational' ?
The same method is being applied here, and I know my weight or running habits haven't changed much, if at all.

Wish me luck and have a good week!

m

No comments: