Sunday 19 February 2012

Week 5 | 13.2 - 19.2

Mon - Rest
I felt definitely better this Monday (touch wood) than last week.

Tue
32:31 ; 5.35k ; 6:05min/k 
Legs still felt somewhat tired and heavy after the tough long run so took it easy.
Very nice to be running on packed snow, though.

Wed
47:33 ; cca 7.44k 
Garmin couldn't get any satellite reception in the ongoing snowstorm and I wasn't excited to be standing around for ages.
While it was fun battling the elements, the head wind was a pain. I blame that (partially) for being a full minute slower than last week on the same course.

Thu
Rest. I was still fairly tired so gave body and legs a rest day.

Fri
Rest and had to run errands as well.

Sat
2:12:25 ; 20.15k; 6:34min/k
This one was a real challenge. First, getting myself motivated to actually go out and do it, I gave myself a little pep talk, drank green tea and went for it.
I slightly changed the course for my long run, and now I do 3k loops with 1k approach, which meant doing 6 loops. Part of the loop was completely new area for me, which was quite refreshing. This one is also more flat, therefore I was able to keep decent speed throughout.
Encountered various stages of tiredness, fatigue but in general was mentally with it for most of the time and never had the feeling of having to stop. Two gels were just about ok, I am also experimenting with little chocolate bars of solid food, the one I tried didn't work. Too chewy and hard to eat, will try another one next time.Legs felt quite ok until the very end, of course the last 3k the pain started but nothing 'run stopping'.Honestly, I was quite pleased with how it went.

Sun
Rest
Legs quite thrashed, right knee very sore on that usual spot, calves destroyed. Apart from that, a nice relaxing day :)

Total running distance: 32.94 km

Definitely better week than the last one, I could feel (touch wood) the energy levels raising. Since I will be away coming weekend I decided to give my legs full 4 days rest before the 'monster month' starts.
I am one week ahead of plan anyway, so I figured one weekend without long run will do the legs good and hopefully the knee issue will get cleared.
Next four long runs will be the hard core distance training, I am curious what will happen, since it wil be all uncharted territory from now on. Current focus is rest for legs, loose some weight (that would also help the legs, I am sure) and keep positive.

have a good week!

m

No comments: