Sunday 12 February 2012

Week 4 | 6.2 - 12.2

Mon - Rest
I felt really awful (like really coming down with something) on the plane in the morning so wasn't very excited about the week ahead. 

Tue
cca 46:50 ; cca 7.5km
As soon as I turned on my Garmin, it signalled empty battery, wth?
I charge it to full every Sunday so my only guess is that it had somehow got switched on during travel and then went flat. Therefore I can only give rough estimates.
This was my first run in the old shoes. I will go into detail below, but I could definitely feel the difference in my gait. Still, based on the numbers it was slower than week before.
As I was still not 100% I took a gamble and went for the longer run on Tuesday rather than wait for any illness to develop and not being able to do anything for the rest of the week.
It was a beautiful run, we had got some snow in Vienna at last, so I couldn't resist to do this after the run:


Hell, sometimes we forget the main reason why we do sports, to have FUN! :)


Wed - Rest
No running, I decided to play it safe.

Thu
29:39 ; 4.75k ; 6:14min/k
Since I skipped the short run in Vienna, I went running in late evening after coming back to Frankfurt. Full moon, little dusting of snow, it was just perfect. I decided to skip the biking as it is way too cold, not to mention snow on the roads. Better safe than sorry.

Fri - Rest
Rest before the long run on Saturday.

Sat
2:00:48 ; 17.78k ; 6:48min/k
Another glorious run on perfect winter day. Sun blazing, blue sky, only the wind was a bit of a bother.
Legs felt light for the first 10k, after that it was a steady decline. The last 3k were a real struggle, I was fading fast, as you can see from the numbers. I will definitely be using two or more gels from now on, as one gel is just about enough for 15k. No real issues with the legs, just overall fatigue.

Sun - Rest
Boy, are my legs stiff today. And yes, both knees hurt on the same spot as usual, interestingly the right one more than the left one. I take it as it comes, assuming that both knees are going through some 'getting used to longer distance' period and it takes a while to get them adapted. That's the only explanation I have right now. Most of other muscles are quite sore today, but I am glad about putting them through the workout as it will only get harder from now on.

Total running distance: 30.03 km

Seriously, my energy levels have been crap this week. I don't know how long it is going to take to get out of this 'funk' but it is no fun, I can assure you. First I think I am going really ill, then I manage to gather some energy over the weekend and on Monday, it starts all over again.
I will patiently stick to the regime and observe how my body is reacting as it has to end eventually. I am never this much tired, even on less sleep and more running, so only external factor makes sense here.
Shoes - The moment I put the old shoes on, they felt right. I am a light footed midfoot striker but somehow with the new shoes I felt a little urge to be doing heel strike, which is very unnatural for me, and my legs. So I was back to my old 'midfoot skipping' and it felt great and natural to me. As an effect, I didn't have any weird pains during running (including up and downhill) and was feeling the correct muscle groups being worked. I would even go as far to say that some muscles had been neglected and therefore felt quite weak during the Tuesday run.
I was expecting some tightness and stiffness during the long run and it was exactly in places I usually get it, so that was ok.
What I didn't expect was the very sore spots in the knees, especially the right one but I will take it as transition period and hope for the best.
I am, however, glad that I did get sore legs, as it shows that it was a good training and I pushed the legs out of comfortable zone, even at such slow pace.

Let's see what the next week brings, have yourselves a good one!

m


No comments: